Friday, July 25, 2008

Canning Season is here!

My first batch of peach jam, I make it in quarts for us...Jim takes peanut butter and jelly to work everyday, such a good husband, eats whatever I pack him :0) I've made cherry, strawberry and now peach. I love canning season...(at the beginning of the year:0)

First batch of green bean...I can't believe how easy it is to can. Make sure your jars are sanitized. Pack with clean, snapped green beans, add 1 t canning salt, add water, dry the top of the jar with a towel, put the lids on and put in the pressure canner for 25 min. on 10 lbs pressure. Then wait till no pressure in the canner, I usually take the pressure gage off when it's been awhile and take them out and listen for them to "pop". It's my most favorite sound ever. I joke with my husband that he could make me a lullaby cd of jars popping and it would put me right to sleep!

Next is raspberry jam, just picked these yesterday! We have such a cool yard. Jim's dad planted everything you could think of. I love it. (Alot of work, but I love it)



No comments: