Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Lovin' my new cookbook!

I LOVE MY NEW COOKBOOK! I could sing it in the highest of mountain tops...ok, that might be dramatic (but I could). Sunday I made BBQ Seitan and Crispy Coleslaw Sandwich, pg. 102 of Veganomicon. I did add some extra veganaise to the crispy coleslaw...about a cup...I like that creamy texture and more salt. Also, I made my own homemade seitan from the cookbook, pg.131. Jim and I are totally freakin' out about the texture, it's the first time either of us has had seitan, and it is very close to the texture of eeek, dare I say it, meat. BBQ seitan is alot like BBQ beef. It was very, very good. Seth wasn't a big fan but lately he's been a picky eater....

It was a lot of work but so worth it and you could make your seitan ahead of time. I made fresh cut fries to go with our sandwiches. I brushed them with a mix of the marinade that the seitan cooked in and olive oil, then sprinkled them with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Flipped them after about 25 min in a 350 degree oven and did it again, put the marinade and spices on and cooked them for an additional 25 min. They took a long time to cook but they were so good.

Whoops on the photoshoot, I told April she would laugh at this one. I built the sandwich with the bun side up on total accident. I should really fill you in on a secret, this is my photo practice week and I wanted to try some extreme closeups and see how my camera handles it. Please bear with me as I'm learning :0) so here's your extreme closeup:

See all the BBQ sauce and coleslaw and spices on the fries...BEAUTIFUL! (plus if you couldn't see it you're very much blind, the picture is huge! :0)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pictures look great.... hint on the bun issue... (shhhh... next time steal the top bun from Jim's sandwich, teeheeeheee)
Nice bright photos...and your camera does GREAT close-ups! But... if you didn't tell me that was the BBQ sandwich, I would have thought it was an ice cream sunday with hot fudge, but I never wear my glasses! Ha! You'll have to tell me about the Sieten (sp) whatever that is...... Anywho, great job, pretty soon cookbooks are gonna be stealin' your pictures for their books!